Friday 6 December 2013

Exclusive interview with Shahid Afridi


Exclusive interview of Pakistan Cricketer Shahid Afridi by Sree Prasad Nair












Grew up watching his batting, bowling & his funny interviews. But never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine this would happen to me, An awesome 2 hour meeting with Pakistan Super Star Cricketer Mr. Shahid Afridi. Funny, Humble & Friendly to the core.... No wonder why he is an entertainer since 18 years, on & off the field. It was an eventful day for me to have Mr.Shahid Afridi on my first ever celebrity interview.


A BOOM BOOM EVENING WITH SHAHID AFRIDI


Great to have you here Shahid Bhai... How's the climate in UAE treating you?

Thank you. Well I used to come to Dubai often and as usual climate is very good here. Just back from net practise and really looking forward for the upcoming series.

2013 Performance-wise so far ?

Well it's been a great year for me so far. Missed out the ICC Champions Trophy but came back really well with an all round perormance against West Indies in their soil including my  career best bowling of 7/12! Insha Allah I will try to give same performances in my upcoming  matches.

Heard you have strarted a charity foundation in Pakistan?

Yes, Shahid Afridi Foundation.

Please tell me more about it?

Well it's a charity foundation I started for promoting education and health for undeserved communities. We launched the foundation on September and so far it's going smoothly. I'm proud that I am  a reason to their smile. I want to take my charity foundation to an international level. We , myself and my brother Mr.Javed Afridi (CEO Of Haier Pakistan, Dubai & Singapore) are planning to organise some events within two months. In different countries, for example Middle East, US & Europe.
Also we opened a restaurant, 'Splice By Shahid Afridi' in Pakistan for my people.

Good to see cricketers like you working for charity... Heard Sachin Tendulkar also planning to work for charity after retirement.

Very good decision by him. I'm happy that he is working for a good cause.

Any reason for starting this charity foundation?

My father. My father was very helpful for others. After my father's death I realised that now it's  my turn to help others.

Are you happy with the success of Pakistan film 'Main Hoon Shahid Afridi' ?

Great to hear that film was a huge success. But for me movie was just about average. I was happy that makers were using my name for the title, however I didn't like some of the scenes in it.

You watch Bollywood films?

I used to watch before... but these days very rare.

Favorite actors?

Dilip Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan & Aamir Khan

Actress?

Kajol. Aaj kal ki heroines ki acting mein dum nahi hain!

Any Song ?

Har Kisiko Nahi Milta Yahan Pyar Zindagi Mein....
Khush Naseeb Hai Hum Jinko Hai Mili Yeh Bahar Zindagi Mein... (Smiles)

Any plans to join Bollywood?

Cricket hi kaafi hai. I know my limitations.

Family?

Happily married, have four daughters.

Your favorite ODI, Test & T20 innings?

ODI - 42 ball 102 against India in Kanpur & 37 ball 100 vs Srilanka in Nairobi
Test - 141 vs India in Chennai
T20 - Semi Final & Final innings of World Cup T20 2009 in England

Favorite Players?

Sachin, Lara, Ponting, Saeed Anwar, Inzamam & Wasim Akram

About Sachin Tendulkar's retirement?

Well I think this is the best time. Little upset that I can't see him playing on the field. I have many wonderful memories with him. I think we have played maxim matches against each other. No doubt Cricket World will miss his game, I will miss his game too...

You have played many matches with Mr.Mohammed Yousuf. Are you upset with his bad remarks about your on going series performance?

Not at all, that's his view about me or my game. It's easy for others to blame you for your team's bad performance . But before commenting or judging me some people should understand that it's not Shahid Afridi vs South Africa. It's Pakisatan vs South Africa. 

Shahid Afridi scored the fastest 100 with the bat Waqar Younus gifted to him. Any truth?

Completely wrong. Actually it was Sachin's bat. Sachin wanted few bats from Pakistan. He scored fastest 100 in my first international innings.

It's been 5 years since Pakistan players participated in IPL? Your views?

It's hight time. I think India should allow our players too in IPL. We played the 2011 World Cup Semi Final in India. We played three ODI's and Two T20's last year in India. It's really sad that after supporting India-Pakistan relation through cricket, still we are sidelined in IPL.

Rohit Sharma just created record of most sixes in a single match. Are you looking forward to beat that record?

Not exactly because I don't look for records and all when I'm batting. I need my team to win the matches. I prefer my team's win over my individual records.

Any idea about your own records?

I think out of 10 fastest 100's, 4 of them are my 100's. Then fastest 100. Then... (thinking) You tell yaar.

Fastest 100, Third Fastest 100, Second Fastest 50, Most Man Of The Match For Pakistan (4th Overall) Second Leading Wicket Taking Spinner, Third Bowler With Maximum 5 Wicket Haul, Second Best Bowling Figures, Highest Batting Strike Rate, Youngest Player To Score 100, Most T20 Matches, Most T20 Man Of The Matches & Ofocurse Maximum Number Of Sixes :)

Wow... Not bad right ? You are so updated.

And 1 more, second highest ducks in ODI'S after Jayasurya.

(Smiles) Which part of India you are from?

Kerala.

I have been there twice. Beautiful place with beautiful food.

Thanks Lala

When are you planning to retire?

Well I think I'm playing quite good cricket these days, atleast with the ball. I'm fit and can play more for my country. My target is to play 2015 World Cup. If I can contribute to my team with my good performance, then I will definitely play 2015 WC!

Thanks a lot Lala for your time. Wishing you plenty of years for your team and all the best for your performances. Pleasure to have you here.

Thanks a lot Sree . My Pleasure :)








No comments:

Post a Comment